The Happiest Place on Earth – Days 4, 5, 6

One of the reasons we chose to stay at the Beach Club was to get a 1-bedroom unit with a kitchen. The other was because they have the best pools of any of the resorts. At least that’s what the reviews stated.

But time was running out for the pool. The first day turned out to be the best swimming day, but we had no opportunity. The second day was pretty good, but we spent the morning in the Animal Kingdom, and we wanted our daughter to have a good nap before Ms. Kaz and I went out for the evening.

Day 5 was our last full day, so we wanted to spend the whole day (minus nap, of course) at a park. Day 6 was an early flight, so… that left Day 4.

Of course, Day 4 was the cloudiest, coldest day. We spent the morning bundled up in light jackets and sweatshirts… drinking hot coffee… and it was still a bit chilly.

We went to MGM Studios, and did exactly4 things there.

First, we went to the Bear in the Big Blue House stage show. They lost my daughter when they shot out streamers at the beginning of the show. She sort of glanced at the stage now and then, but most spent the time playing with the streamer; wrapping it around herself or around us.

Then, we met Donald and Daisy Duck. Man, that Donald is hard to find in the parks. I think it is because he doesn’t wear pants.

We then spent about an hour at the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids playground, which my daughter loved… except for the slides. They were all enclosed, and I don’t think she liked the fact that they were dark.

Finally, we had lunch at the Sci-Fi Drive-In restaurant, which was a sit-down meal (with a pretty decent Pan Seared Tofu in a Mango Glaze on a bed for Rice and Julienned Veggies) which held her attention because (a) you ate in a “car”, and (b) you watch old movie and cartoon clips on a giant screen. We finally hit a “Year of a Million Dreams” prize here. Of course, after explaining to the waitress that our daughter has a peanut allergy and asking about the meal options, our prize turned out to be Cracker Jack.

That afternoon, after the nap, the sun came out a little and made it a bit warmer. So we went swimming. The pool is awesome. The kiddie pool was about 2 1/2 feet deep with a mini water slide. We opted for the main pool where there was a small sand beach (this is a sand-bottomed pool) with a trickle of water running through it. My daughter loved playing here. Then, the pool gradually got deeper to a max, where we were, of about 3 feet. This allowed my daughter to venture out as deep as she felt comfortable.

Now, I know kids will stay in a pool until they are blue, and still insist they don’t want to leave. I just didn’t know it happened this young. My daughter was shivering, and her teeth were chattering, and she still insisted she wasn’t cold. I think the creme brulee in Epcot that night made her forget.

The last day was spent at the Magic Kingdom, revisiting old haunts, seeing a couple new one (like the Jungle Cruise; “It was a little dark… there was a tiger”).

Right when we got in the park, around 9:30am, my daughter asked, “Daddy… I have popcorn?” Well, we were on vacation, so… “Sure! Why not?”

For dinner, we scrambled to find a grilled cheese in the park (one place – The Plaza Restaurant), watched the parade again (I got to shake hands with a Dwarf – no, I don’t recall which one), and finally convinced my daughter to watch the fireworks. Turns out she loves them. Too bad it took until the last night to find this out.

The next morning, we left early, after a couple, “we’re not goin’ t’ Disneyworld today, daddy?”

We actually ran into a mother and daughter taking the same flight who also work for a Disney company. The mother was an editor for Wondertime magazine. I haven’t checked out an actual issue yet, but I plan to, and I’ll let you know what I think.

The plane ride home was just as uneventful as the one there. We did resort to the DVD player, but I think it was really more for us than for her.

I have to say that it was strange not visiting DisneyWorld the way we used to, instead going only on the “kiddie” rides. At one point, when my daughter was at one of the playgrounds, Ms. Kaz asked me if I wanted to go off on my own to ride any of the “adult” rides. Strangely enough, I was more interested in having fun with my daughter than riding the rides on my own.

It was a little more exhausting with a 2 1/2 year old at times. But it was still a lot of fun…

And I still wanted to go back not long after we got back home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: