My daughter went to the allergist today because of the rash she had last time we gave her some peanut butter cereal. She has a peanut allergy.
Shock was the initial reaction. Now, I realize plenty of kids get a peanut allergy, and most survive just fine, thankyouverymuch. But I also realize that it will take some work. Now, I have a zillion thought going through my mind. Here are just a few:
- But I love peanut butter. I have it every day at lunch.
- Can she be in the same room as a peanut?
- I’ve looked before for the “processed in a plant which also processes peanuts” labels (for other kids), and they aren’t that easy to find.
- If we have another, will he or she be likely to have the same allergy?
- Can she grow out of it? If so, how will we ever know?
- Can we go to Thai restaurants? I love Thai food.
- Will my daughter have to sit at a peanut-free table when she goes to school? If so, is she doomed to a life of hanging out with kids like Brian in The Breakfast Club?
- How will we ever get to go to anyone’s house?
- Is it called an “epi pen” just so it doesn’t scare the crap out of little kids?
- Should we get a second test/opinion just to be sure?
I am sure, as we educate ourselves, it will get better, but right now, I just feel a little overwhelmed by all of this.